Sunday 29 October 2017

Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner - #Inktober day 29

Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner

For breakfast, I had an apple. 
Sliced it.
Put a small, square pot of peanut butter on the plate,
And in a state of semi-conscious confusion, 
Facing last nights delusion that one more chapter couldn't hurt, 
Thinking sleep-deprivation can't get much worse, 
Contemplating the concept of tar-thick black coffee,
I raise my phone and snap a picture, 
Of sliced apple on a plate and a dish of peanut butter.
Upload it.

#EatingWell
#EatingClean
#HealthyBreakfast
#KeepingLean

Lunch is rushed and unhealthy and I don't photograph it.
Someone asks me what I'm eating,
And my appetite, already fleeting, fled.
I'd rather be dead than explain my meal in person, 
And if it doesn't go on Instagram, 
It didn't really happen.
But the screen glows on my face, 
As I check the likes from breakfast, 
Keep myself connected, 
Plugged in to this collective, 
Comparing my life in snapshots and hashtags.
Honestly, I know it's mad,
But it makes me feel better.
Almost nourished.

#Blessed
#Wellness

There's a sunset on my walk home.
A blaze of colours in the sky,
Flaming clouds, 
And I almost drown in the sounds
Of cars rushing by, 
A I stop at the roundabout,
And photograph it.
Add a filter.
Make the colours sing.
Share it, 
Hope someone else takes pleasure in it, 
Likes it.
And in that liking I will be connected.

#Nature
#Beauty
#ThisIsSomethingYouShouldSee

Dinner is lonely, 
But perfect and simple.
I take pleasure in preparation, 
In the processes,
In temporary separation from the world I'm plugged in to.
Stirring rice in slow circles, 
The hypnotic meditation of repeated action.
Taking time with the plating, 
The pouring of a glass of wine, 
Antique bread tin as a back drop,
And I plug myself back in.
Snap.
Then upload.
As if I wouldn't be eating this alone on the sofa.
Watching likes count up in place of a human connection.

#Dinnertime
#Foodie
#GlassOfWine
#Truly
#Really
#Please
#JustLikeMe

Todays #Inktober poem - on instagram and meals. If you like it, please share!

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Month In Verse - Inktober 2018 Day 31 part 2!

A Month in Verse  A month of spinning words  Had passed by in a blur. Through stages and stories And guests and gigs And crushi...